One of promises that Obama has delivered during his campaign is to be in touch with the public – to have a government that is more interactive, more connected, one that listens to the people. Change.org is taking Obama to his word. Check out change.org/ideas, where you can vote for ideas for change in America. In essence, it is a popularity contest, and the top 10 ideas will be presented to Obama after his inauguration and lobbied in congress and senate.
I think the ideas section is great. It is well-designed, well-organized, and it is nice to have a stage for everyone to voice their opinion. Strangely enough it reminds me of Ubuntu’s brainstorm, which has been running for a few years now. I guess the geeks are always ahead of the curve, eh? Anyways, lots of people are actually voting, and I find it interesting to see the sort of ideas that are becoming the most popular.
Here is a list of some of the ideas that I voted for. Please consider registering at change.org and voting as well. Your vote matters, even if you are not American ;)
- USA Refugee Corps – Export hope, and revitalize our national moral standing. This one is for Tally. Simply put, please vote if you want to make America a more Humane place, and also to counter the multitude of votes that some opposing ideas are receiving, like this one.
- Close Guantanamo prison camp and End the Genocide in Darfur. The titles say it all. The first one is actually trivial. The second one, of course, is more complicated. It is a call to Obama to lead a pro-active American foreign policy with regards to Darfur.
- End Corporate “PERSONHOOD”. Remember the movie The Corporate?
- Appoint a Special Prosecutor for the Crimes of the Bush Administration. 1753 votes strong and still counting … I am crossing my fingers for this one. Please read Bob Herbert’s latest column at the nytimes and then vote.
- On the green front, I think the most important one is to Ratify the Kyoto Treaty. Better late than never, right? I am surprised that this idea doesn’t have more votes.
- On the technology front, I am particularly fond of the idea to Support network neutrality legislation.
- And finally, here are the two ideas that will change America, the world, and the universe at large:
- Repeal that law that made it legal for the commercials to be louder than the program. Damn the FCC for approving it. Please vote for it, blog about it, and force your friends and family members to vote!
- Nudge the US to adopt the metric system. Do I need to explain? :)